February Athlete of the Month - Andrew Michael
Published February 17, 2015
Congrats to our February Athlete of the Month, Andrew Michael. It has been an awesome to see all of the progress you've made since you started at Outsiders. We love having you and your positive attitude in the mornings. Thanks for all of your hard work!
1. When did you first join Outsiders? Were you active prior to joining?
My intro workout was on December 21, 2012 and my first workout was a few days later on Christmas Eve. Stan and his dad were installing a drop ceiling when I showed up that day. Prior to joining I was half heartedly trying to incorporate some regular exercise into my routine but I hadn't been very successful. Basically, I hadn't done anything strenuous in at least 5 years.
2. What were your thoughts after your first workout? Is it what you expected?
The first workout was really hard for me and it was pretty obvious how unfit I actually was. I think my legs were wobbly for at least 20 minutes afterwards but I was hooked.
3. You were one of our first members. To you, what makes Outsiders CrossFit so special?
I'm proud to be one of the first members and it's been fun to watch the community grow. Outsiders CrossFit is special to me for three reasons. First, I buy into the overall philosophy of varied full-body exercise to increase functional fitness. Second, I appreciate the instruction on how to do each exercise properly each class. Third and most important, I really like the people. Everyone is extremely supportive and even though they have different levels of ability and experience, the camaraderie and support make it fun to come to class.
4. You have always been a consistent attender to Outsiders. How have you been able to maintain that consistency over time with your busy work/family schedule?
I'm not that great at some of the exercises but I'm pretty good at showing up. Outsiders works for me because I don't have to make any decisions on what to do. All I have to do is show up and try to do the best I can that day. Each day is a different workout, so it's never boring. It has always been hard for me to find a good time to exercise but the mornings work best for me, and 5:30 is perfect because I get the work done early and can get on with my day.
5. How has your mindset changed from before you started to your first few months and from your first few months to now?
Early on I was coming 4 or 5 days a week and making significant progress. More recently, I've had a lot going on outside of the gym so my goals are more modest. I try to come in 3 days a week now and I'm still really happy with the results.
5. What do you think are the keys to your CrossFit success?
Showing up consistently and not trying to do too much each session.
6. What is one tip you would give someone considering Outsiders CrossFit or a new CrossFitter?
It's easy to be intimidated by some of the stuff we do, but it's designed to work for every level. It seems to work best when I try to push on one or two things per day and not get hung up on what other people in the class are doing.
7. Talk about your results since joining Outsiders CrossFit?
I'm in better shape at 38 than I was at 28. It would be nice if I was a little better at some of the movements but I consider myself a reasonably fit person now and I certainly couldn't have said that 2 years ago. Thanks for taking a chance on opening the gym. It's a great space and it's been fantastic to work with both of you.